If there’s one way to liven up the season and show your friends how thankful you are for them, it’s by throwing a holiday party they’re unlikely to forget. Better yet, save a pretty penny on your venue by transforming your home into the ultimate party scene.
We know that can seem overwhelming at first, but if you follow these few tips, your shindig will go off without a hitch. Just be prepared for your friends and family to start referring to you as “Gatsby.”
1. Set the mood.
It’s all in the details. From lighting and music to making sure your bathroom is all stocked up, crossing your T’s and dotting your I’s is a simple way to make sure your guests have the best time.
So, here are a few tips for combatting typical party faux pas:
- Light bulbs are your friend! Fairy lights, fake candles, or even table lamps are way more flattering than stark overhead lighting.
- Stock the bathroom with extra toilet paper and soap. If you’re inviting lots of people who haven’t been to your house before, it also doesn’t hurt to put a sign on the bathroom door.
- Have a Bluetooth speaker and a Spotify playlist at the ready, and be the only one with password access to it. The last thing you want is one of your guests to take control of the music…especially if they have niche tastes!
- If you’re using disposable cups, have bins dotted around the place for people to get rid of them once they’re finished. Bin liners attached to door handles should do the trick.
- Keep your dishwasher empty so that you can stack it at the end of the night.
2. Hire a bartender.
Imagine this: Your guests walk in the door, go to place their coats down by the couch, and are greeted by a bartender in a bowtie asking for their drink orders. Party, upgraded. It may seem like an investment, but hiring a bartender (or two, if you have over 100 guests) can ensure that your guests’ experience is topnotch, you’re not stuck making drinks all night, your guests won’t be over-served, and you’ll have a hand cleaning up at the end of the night.
Plus, if you hire your staff through Qwick, you know it’ll be affordable. You can meet with the bartender ahead of time to make sure they know the drink menu you’d like to serve and you know what you need to stock the bar.
3. Don’t forget the food.
When it comes to party planning, food isn’t something you want to leave to the last minute. Especially when you consider how many special dietary requirements there are these days.
It’s crucial to offer and clearly sign any vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free options where necessary. Make a few calls to pre-order food if needed and ensure your supplier knows the party’s start time and date. That way, they can order everything in on time.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to ask guests on their invitations whether they have any dietary needs. That way, you can cater to them well in advance!
4. Plan a rhythm.
Let’s face it; most of us start getting bored after three hours of socializing. This is especially true if there’s nothing to prompt conversation or relieve the pressure that comes with meeting new people.
So, pre-empt the flow of your party, and plan a few activities and surprises to delight your guests.
Here are a few ideas to inspire you:
- Give guests something to do from the moment they arrive. That way, they don’t have to linger around awkwardly. Direct them to the bar, have a designated area for their coats, introduce them to someone, etc.
- Mix it up by having something everyone pays attention to for a few minutes. This could be a performance-based surprise, like a showy dessert or cocktail, or a round of toasts.
- Allow for ‘lows’ between meals and activities so people can mingle and meet.
5. Show your appreciation.
If you want to do something extra special for your guests, prepare goody bags for them to take away. Hand these to your guests at the ends of the night, so they leave on a high. You can get as creative as you like with these. But some good ideas are snacks and finger foods, funny little gifts, something decorative, or maybe a personal note to thank them for coming.
Here’s the bottom line.
Follow the tips above for stress-free party planning, and if you’re ready to upgrade your event, Qwick is here to help with talented, trained, and affordable bartenders and servers. Post a shift for your event today. With the right preparation, all you need to do is lean back and enjoy the festivities yourself. Happy partying!